Newcity art editor Jason Foumberg was recently profiled (and pictured!) here. Now if we can just get them to add us to their list of art web sites… (Brian Hieggelke)
- The Whole Package: Looking at the Art Matchmaking of “Not Just Another Pretty Face” at the Hyde Park Art Center Expect an especially exciting moment when the bell rings on the evening of September 14. White cloth that covers up all the artworks shall be pulled from the gallery walls inside the Hyde Park Art Center, unveiling some eighty commissioned works culminating from the latest two iterations—2021 and 2023—of the famed Chicago art matchmaker program.
- Chicago Art Oximeter: A Review of LatinXAmerican at the DePaul Art Museum Not surprisingly, the most captivating moments in the exhibition are those that unite thematic framing with formal kinship.
- The Art of Organizing: How The Art Institute and SAIC Formed a Historic Union "It is about caring, not just about yourself, but about everyone around you. It’s wanting to see people treated fairly.”
- Changing Art History: DePaul Art Museum Cracks Open the Canon With Latinx Initiative At a time when the lack of action around diversity and inclusion at art institutions is painfully apparent, DPAM’s endeavor to put their values into practice is heartening.
- Art For Life’s Sake: Sub-Saharan Art Reassessed The Art Institute's sub-Saharan holdings make it one of the preeminent collections in the United States. The museum presents traditional sub-Saharan art—with a through line to contemporary practices—focused on West and Central Africa. “One of the most striking aspects of this community’s visual culture is its use of colors."
- A Living Institution: The South Side Community Art Center Celebrates Eighty Years as a Force in African American Art For eight decades, this art center has championed the work of African American artists while serving as a gathering space for not only artists, but the broader South Side community.